Monday, April 12, 2010

The "S" Word

Not the "S" word you're thinking about, but this one is just as bad to many of our young children if we have trained them to think so.  STUPID...yep, that "S" word.

Well, as I was starting my work day I decided to quickly look over the Proverb and Psalm for today and was struck by the 1st verse in Proverb 12. 

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." (Proverb 12:1)

So, where does that put you!?!  I know it hits me square between the eyes. 

I, as a human, do stupid things a lot, even when I try so hard not to.  But, the key is to recognize when you've done that and ask forgiveness from the person or people you may have wronged by your stupidity.  Confess it to God knowing and being very thankful that you are already forgiven by His blood that was shed on the cross long before you were on this earth acting stupid.  Then, move on!  Don't dwell on it.  Take the correction and discipline you rightfully deserve...learn from it...grow...and move on.

More Proverbs du jour...

"The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the speech of the upright rescues them." (Proverb 12:6)

"A man is praised according to his wisdom, but men with warped minds are despised." (Proverb 12:8)

"An evil man is trapped by his sinful talk, but a righteous man escapes trouble."  (Proverb 12:13)

"From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things as surely as the work of his hands rewards him."  (Proverb 12:14)

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult."  (Proverb 12:16)

"A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly." (Proverb 12:23)

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."  (Proverb 12:25)

I left out some really good ones...just go read all of Proverb 12...and read a chapter of Proverbs a day (by the date that matches the number of the chapter)...you'll really like it!

And, then to top it all off...when I read Psalm 12 today...it continued with the theme of stupid speech and lying and all.  But, what stood out most to me was the 6th verse...

"And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times."  (Psalm 12:6)

Our Lord's words are flawless and pure words! 

He knows we make stupid mistakes even when we thought we had already learned that lesson and were standing firm.  "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!"  (1 Corinthian 10:12)  And, He has already forgiven us and provided a way for us to "shake it off" and move on...just pray for Him to show you that way and when you see it...take it!  "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."  (1Corinthians 10:13)

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."  (Colossians 4:6)

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."  (Psalm 19:14)



May your words today be "seasoned with salt", "full of grace", and pleasing to the Lord as well as to those around you. 

3 comments:

Robin Prater said...

Thanks for that reminder Haelie. Ouch! I love it when the Lord speaks right to my heart!!

Anonymous said...

This blog needs to be published someday as a devotional to be used in Bible Studies, etc. It is great, and I am not saying that because you are such a sweet niece, I am saying it because I have been a Bible teacher for many years and this is really GOOD STUFF! Aunt D

Haelie said...

Hey, you two precious ladies! Sorry it has taken me so long to be able to respond here, but better late than never! Thank you both for your kind and encouraging comments...as always!