Monday, August 16, 2010

Movies and Museums---Who needs 'em!?!

Fiery pinkish orange popping out against a backdrop of grayish blue with splashes of aqua randomly poking through.

Rembrandt?  Van Gogh?  Picasso?  No.

Flashes and flickers lighting up the blackness.  Over there---to the right---there's one.  Oh, and another to the left.  No, not on a movie screen nor on a red carpet.

Driving along the highway, I was mesmerized by the display.  Beautiful, intriguing, indescribable.  Words cannot compare to the colors and majesty of it all.  I even experienced some 3-D effects of strong wind and heavy rain at one point.  No special glasses required.

How could I for a minute begin to think that such beauty and complexity just happens?  Yes, I know of the science behind it all.  I don't dismiss that.  But to think that the intricacies of that very science just happen---I don't think so.  How could they?  They did not and do not cause themselves.  They are too spectacular and precise.  Too mind-blowing to just happen.

No, the only One who has no cause is the One who created cause itself.

His unique, delicate, yet intricate fingerprint is in everything.

The breathtaking views that overwhelm the mind were borne of His mind and painted with His hand.

The mind-boggling scientific details of how the human body works, let alone a single leaf on a tree---those too are evidence of Intelligence beyond anything we can fathom.  Intelligence that pre-dates any design we can imagine.  Each thing intentional and specific.  A place for everything and everything in its place.

I cannot help but marvel when I observe Him watering His garden and field just a bit to the left of the highway on which I am traveling.  Very precisely pouring out His rain in just His intended place at that time.

  • "He loads the clouds with moisture; he scatters his lightning through them." (Job 37:11).
  • "Do you know how God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?" (Job 37:15).
  • "What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed, or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?" (Job 38:24)
  • "He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth" (Job 37:3)


And, of course, to top it all off, He has a sense of humor, too.  He created us, after all!

Yes, near the last stretch of my drive, some of my fellow earthlings were observed towing an antique car behind a truck.  No big deal, except:
  • It was almost pitch black outside.
  • No lights on the vehicle appeared to be working whatsoever---specifically tail lights.
  • It was being towed with a chain of some kind (too dark to see it).
  • The car was a convertible car with the top down.
  • A guy was in the driver's seat of the car as the two vehicles were together only going maybe 55 miles per hour on I-10 in a 70 mile per hour zone---remember the pitch dark and no taillights!?!  
Once I got over the shock of almost rear-ending them, I just had to laugh at us humans.  Yes, thankfully He made some of us a bit smarter than others.  However, I'm sure we all have those "towing with the top-down in the pitch-black with no taillights" kind of moments.  Don't judge lest you be judged!

And to top off this movie and museum-free mind trip, as I came over the last hill on the bridge headed for my exit, what do I see ahead of me in the direction of the City of New Orleans on this non-descript August Sunday night near 10:00pm?  A grand fireworks display.  Really---a real fireworks display, visible for several miles.  This weary traveler has no clue what they are celebrating so elaborately on this random August eve---and come to think about it, they probably don't either.  That's just how they roll here.  Cherish and celebrate the life you have.  They know this first hand and live it every day.  It is who they are.  It is evident in their demeanor, in their talk, and of course in their cooking.  They know each day is a gift and they make it count.

How about you?  Do you know your life is a gift?  Each day of it?  Do you make it count?

Better yet, do you live your life in a way that you will ultimately Outlive Your Life?  You should.  I should.  We all should.  Our world is in need of a Hope Revolution.  Will you join me in being part of that starting today?  You can get a good idea of how and why to do it in the book I am reading right now by Max Lucado called Outlive Your Life.  It's not even out on shelves yet, but will be very soon.  I highly suggest you get a copy as soon as you can.  You'll see why.

And the next time the sky is full of color and flashes of light, be sure to tune out all distractions and enjoy the show.  Your Creator is playing it just for you---LIVE and in color---to show you that He truly is with you.

16 comments:

misterp said...

Hi Haelie I enjoyed all the wonderful videos of Max and light up the sky. I don't know if you have ever seen Lou Gigleo on Lamenen thats probably not spelled right but that is what I thought of as I read your blog. About how our wonderful creator God made everything with a purpose and used the cross to bring us to him and hold us together, and the last picture taken by the Hubble telescope is a form of the cross isn't that awesome. God's plan for the universe and all that is within it, all goes through the cross. Wow!!!!!!! He is awesome!!!! We definitely need to be more thankful and give more praise for things He shows us in our lives as well as praise Him more. as always your friend misterp

Haelie said...

So glad you enjoyed this, MisterP. Yes, our God truly is the epitome of amazing and awesome, isn't He!?!

Charlotte said...

Oh, Haelie, what a delightful post. Like you I can't imagine anyone thinking that this intricate world and everything in it just happened by chance. I think that takes a far greater faith than believing in God. Thank you for sharing your road experiences with us.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Virginia said...

I enjoyed reading your post and video. You bet I know life is a gift. And I’m planning to live it one day at a time, Thanking and praising our AWESOME God daily for that precious gift.
Be back again to visit.I'm know a follower.....
Joy & Blessing,
Virginia

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I love the video at the top..you were born to make a difference....Your faith shines.....great awesome post. And love the song...

Haelie said...

Charlotte - My sentiments exactly! In the words of Frank Turek, "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist."

Virginia - So glad you are living your life one day at a time thanking Him all the way. So glad you enjoyed this post! Thanks for stopping by!

Sarah - Thank you so much! Aren't those videos wonderful? :o)

Renee said...

Lovely post and video too...enjoy Max Lucado so much....God bless.

Merana Leigh said...

WONDERFUL post full of wit & charm...and insight! I came upon you...oh 2nd one behind Charlotte...through Spiritual Sundays & am SO glad I did. I feel I've found a new blogging buddy! I look fwd to following you. I love your blog name...reminds me of a RUSH song that says "if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice" (I always LOVED that line!).

Please stop by & visit - and follow as well! I welcome any comments you would care to share. I can't wait to dive into yours in more depth!

Hugs ~ Merana

Anita Johnson said...

This was the perfect post...my walking partner and I call them "God Skies"...we feel blessed walking under them!

Haelie said...

Virginia - I also wanted to say thanks so much for following! :o)

Merana - (I love your name!) So glad you stopped by and enjoyed my blog. I so need to check out that Rush song you mentioned! Awesome! Anyway, hope you enjoy diving more into my blog here. I do look forward to checking yours out as well. :o)

Stephani Cochran said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I enjoyed this video and hope to spend some more time here. God's signature is written all over his creation and I am always amazed by it. This has been magnified since I took up photography. I also have a photo blog if you want to check that out. Talk to you again soon! Have a terrific week.

Haelie said...

Stephani,

Thanks so much for checking out my blog as well! I will definitely look into your photo blog. You are very talented! I do love seeing His fingerprint in all kinds of places.

Haelie said...

Renee - Thank you so much. So glad you enjoyed this. Yes, Max is very inspiring, isn't he!?!

Anita - "God Skies" such a perfect name for them!!! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I absolutely love enjoyin God's creation. We actually went out yesterday for a field trip to a beautiful park. A squirrel came up to my son's hand and we saw a deer not too far off, too, besides all the beautiful trees, stream, etc. God is good!

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Haelie said...

Sherry, what fun and memorable times! God truly is good. I like your blog, too!

Old Geezer, followin' you, too! Love your blog!