Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bigger...and Bigger...and BIGGER!

As my five-year-old son and I cross the twenty-four mile long bridge over Lake Ponchartrain weekly to attend Bible study together, we enjoy many different sites and discussions.  (And he often enjoys a nice, long nap!)

Of course, one of his favorite questions is...

Are we almost there?

More recently, however, he has begun to pay more attention and figure out some things for himself.

The other night, I was chuckling to myself as I hear from the backseat,
Bigger...and Bigger...and BIGGER!!!
Mommy, look!
The buildings are getting bigger!  Wow!
We then proceeded to discuss how that meant that we were getting closer and closer to the shore, therefore closer and closer to getting off of the big, long bridge.

After our little discussion, I was struck by something very enlightening...and even related to our Bible study discussion from Isaiah that night.

As we have been learning throughout our BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) study of Isaiah, our God is a REALLY BIG God.  He is THE God...the Lord Almighty!  Wow!  Seriously.  It's a lot to take in.

And what really hit me on that drive with my son to Bible study was:

The closer I get (to the Lord), the BIGGER He seems to get!

Of course, just like those high-rise buildings lining the shore of Lake Ponchartrain, HE is not actually changing at all.  He is getting no bigger than He already is and always has been and always will be.

It's my perspective that is continuously being altered and enhanced.  The more I learn about Him and come to know Him in all of His facets, the bigger I realize He is.  The harder He is to wrap my little mind around. 

But the crazy, mind-blowing thing about it all is that, as BIG as He is, and as much as I can never know nor understand all there is to know about Him---He is still living in my heart and holding me closely and securely in His righteous right hand. 

Me...little old me. 

And you, if you have confessed that you believe in Him and the work He has done for us by sending His son to die a brutal death on the cross in our place in order to make the final payment for our sin which we could never pay.

Is He beckoning you with that loving, powerful, righteous right hand of His?

Is His Spirit speaking to your heart...deep in your soul?

Have you been avoiding that tugging?  Is it all too unbelievable for you still?

To that, I say, yes, He is unbelievable---yet He is also undeniable.

Don't deny Him any longer.  
Confess the belief that for so long has been too big for you to come to grips with.

Put your hand in His tender, loving, nail-scarred, powerful, righteous right hand.

Daddy's Hand.

No comments: